Friday, February 18, 2011

Asparagus and Chicken Spaghetti

Little Ugh's take on the "beans beans the musical fruit" diddy, only for asparagus, which I couldn't wait to hear since nothing rhymes with asparagus or veggie - get ready:

*clearing his throat* *AHEM* ....
"asparagus asparagus - veggie that looks like a tree, eat bunches - but hold your nose when you peeeeee"
Good one bud...in my head I am secretly hoping he doesn't want to be a marketing exec.

With all of the veggies Little Ugh likes, asparagus is actually one that he doesn't favor. This time I hid it...by peeling it into strips and tossing it in with the chicken and bacon - tee hee hee I'm so crafty. 
Asparagus & Chicken Spaghetti
makes 4 servings

2 pre-cooked chicken breasts, sliced (I had leftovers)
1 bunch asparagus
1 cup mushrooms
1 lb spaghetti (I say a pound but really, I have no idea what that is...I made enough for four people, so a pretty big handful)
1/2 Parmesan - freshly grated if possible
6 strips cooked bacon crumbled
1/4 c. chicken stock
1/2 c. reserved cooking water

If you don't have leftover chicken pre-bought, grill/bake 2 breasts for about 40 min, slice and set aside.  You can marinade if you wish or have a bbq sauce, dry rub or plain if you like.

Wash and cut the tips off the asparagus.  With a potato peeler create strips just as you would peel a carrot.
Get your pot of salted water boiling and start sauteing your mushrooms (in a bit of butter or olive oil).

Drain your pasta reserving 1/2 c. cooking water.  Add the mushrooms, asparagus strips and pasta back to the pot along with chicken stock and water.  Toss around over medium heat.  About a minute in throw in the bacon (oh my favorite  part), chicken and the cheese.
Serve immediately
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment