Thursday, February 10, 2011

Fried Food Feasting

Weakness alert! Some rather harsh realities in this post...

We indulged in some not so heart healthy foods this past weekend, being Superbowl and all.  I am sure some of you may have also so I won't judge if you wont! 

It's common really, a big game, a fight night, a party - it happens even with the best of intentions (you know, putting out that veggie tray)

Now that I've gotten that off my chest I should maybe tell you one other little detail (gosh I am blushing)
Every Football Sunday we have fried chicken - OH I KNOW, how bad is that!?! 
It is only 16 weeks out of the year - that's me justifying.  You have pot roast every Sunday, I have fried chicken and biscuits, you say tomAto I say tomatoe.

I do believe that if you make your own fried meals they seem to be healthier (or at least that is what I am sticking with).  You can control the oil you use and how much salt you add - see, healthier....and again, justifying.

This time around we had fresh cut fries and chicken fingers.  They always taste so good when they aren't jumbled up chicken parts :)


Fried Chicken Fingers
makes 4 servings

3 boneless, skinless breasts
1 c. flour - separated
milk
1 tsp. cracked pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. creole seasoning
(if you do not have a deep fryer, use a large pot with enough oil to come up 1/3 -1/2 way up the sides but frying scares me if its not in a proper manufactured device)

Heat oil to a temperature of 375.
Cut your breasts into thin strips - approx. an inch wide
In a Ziploc bag take about 1/4 c. of the flour, add some pepper and dredge the fingers.
Meanwhile, in a bowl add the flour, milk, and seasonings and stir - I don't have an exact amount of milk used for you but you'll want the batter to be a thick consistency so start with 1/2 c. and work up from there.
Take your dredged fingers and coat them with the batter.
Place slowly into the oil with tongs and hold them for a few seconds before letting go so they do not stick to the basket (or bottom of your pot)
Fry for about 6 -7 minutes or until golden brown.
Remove, lightly salt and serve with a nice dipping sauce (maybe a honey mustard or zippy BBQ)

French Fries

5 large potatoes - either russet or white fleshed
bowl of water
towel
deep fryer
seasoned salt

Wash potatoes well - this method keeps the skins on.
Slice potatoes into strips about 1 inch in diameter to keep them all the same consistent size.
Toss the cut pieces into a large bowl of cold water for at least 30 minutes.

Rinse and drain and pat the potatoes until well dried - you wont want to put damp taters into hot oil, you might get hurt!

Set the fryer at a temperature of 350 and working in batches fry them for about 3-4 minutes only.  They should have slight colour and be able to bend.  Once you have done all your fries increase the temperature of the fryer to 375.  Again, working in batches throw those puppies back in until they are golden brown - another 7 minutes or so.
Remove and drain on paper towel - lightly season with a seasoning salt, celery salt or plain salt (if you're boring)
Commence your hoarding and dipping (you get no pictures of the end result because the boys took them off the plate before I could grab my camera - if you ask them they will tell you they asked me to make them for every side dish)
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment