Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Blueberry Strusel Scones

Boredom set in this afternoon, I had only about an hour before I had to head out and pick up the kiddo and his friend. 
Little Ugh usually has a friend or two over almost every day.  These kids these days seem to know that our house is the house of good eats and flock, I don't mind, really. 
If they didn't come over I would be about 400 pounds by now so c'mon in, eat, enjoy, tell your friends, have them tell their friends friends, but clean up your messes when you leave ;)

We had some leftover blueberries (weird because my kid seems to be like a heat seeking missile when it comes to them) so I figured, hey, I've never made scones before - why not today?  They don't take much time to make or bake so they were the perfect snack for the kids when they got home.
If you've got flour, sugar, baking powder, butter, milk and blueberries you are all set!

Blueberry Strusel Scones
makes 8

2 c. flour
1/3 c. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt
1 c. fresh blueberries
1/2 c. milk
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 c. cold butter cut into chunks

Strudel topping:
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 tbsp. butter

What if I ended this post right here?  Would you know what to do?  I don't know why I thought of doing that...maybe it would give you reason to comment?  To scream and yell?  Or to laugh because my next post would be the rest? OK fine! You win...I wont play games...its easy - enjoy :)

In a bowl mix together the dry ingredients. Cut in the chunks of butter with a pastry knife (I don't have one so I used 2 knives).  It should be crumbly in texture.  Gently fold in the blueberries.  In a measuring cup mix together the egg, milk and vanilla.  Pour into dry ingredients and with a fork combine just until it forms a dough.  You don't want to over mix it because you are going to turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead it 5 or 6 times to incorporate everything.
Roll it into a ball and press it down.  Brush a little milk on the top and top with the strudel topping - or omit if you want to cut calories.
Strudel Topping - mix together all ingredients to form a crumb mixture

Cut it in half, then half again and so on until you get 8 triangles.
Bake in a preheated 400F oven for 18-20 minutes on a parchment lined baking sheet.
Enjoy! I did, times 3 (ssshhhhh don't tell the kids!)
Print Friendly and PDF

4 comments:

  1. This looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This scone looks rich and light and flavorful, golden brown and delicious! I really like the mug, too, and the photo is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The scone looks great... but more importantly, I LOVE THAT MUG! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on having your scones featured on TK! (And thanks for the fun game on FB!) Will the real Running With the Deviled Eggs (and a little lunch) please stand up, lol?!

    ReplyDelete