Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Summery Watermelon Soup

Now, first I must tell you I despise soup.  I'm not 90 or have my jaw wired shut so I don't feel the need to drink my food.  SOOO many people tell me "you don't know what your missing" or "but you haven't tried...." really, I have tried it, MANY times as a kid.  I know "they" say your pallet changes, but its not the tastes I don't like, its the runny hot liquid that I have to slurp up that turns me off.  How do you people feel full after that??  Give me a hearty meat and potato stew and that might make me happy - because I have to CHEW.
That is why when I found a variation of the recipe I am going to post here I was elated!  The summer gazpacho style soups are "in" folks, all the cool people are eating them and hey...I'm cool, or at least I want to pretend I am!
It received mixed feelings when I unveiled it last night for dinner (as a first course - because you cant be full off soup!) Its sweet with a little kick from the garlic and jalapeno - I know, weird but it works.  But what really got the Ughs was the fact that it was cold - who eats cold soup?  See, I am not the only one that has strange thoughts about soup!
Surprisingly all bowls were emptied and I only had to say "you don't want me to cry do you" once!
So while I cant stand this expression I am compelled to use it here TRY IT, YOU'LL LIKE IT!!!

Watermelon Soup - makes about 6-8 servings

1/2 watermelon cubed
1 cucumber peeled and cubed
1 tsp olive oil
1 large yellow pepper diced
1 jalapeno finely chopped
2 cloves garlic finely chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Now, you can add other colour peppers, onion, more or less jalapeno etc. but these are the ingredients I chose to use.
First puree watermelon and oil in batches in a blender or food processor.  Pour juice through a strainer to make a clear liquid.  Take a small handful of each of the other veggies and pulse.  Pour this into the watermelon juice to give it a little consistency.
Simply add the rest of the veggies to the bowl, salt and pepper if you wish and cover.  Refrigerate at least a few hours so the flavours merry together.
Easy, tasty, and slightly weird but worth trying.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment