Thursday, April 26, 2012

Guest Post With Simply Gourmet Photography! Carrot Cake

Sherron over at Simply Gourmet Photography blows my mind and makes me drool daily!
She has wonderful ideas and even more beautiful photography....I wish we lived closer so we could share desserts at nighttime and she could teach me her art over cake.

When I put out my call, Sherron was there.  She has a huge heart :)  You can Sherron on her Facebook page or over on her blog anytime!

We love carrot cake in this house, in fact Mr. BM asked for it this past year for his b-day cake.  This post incorporates coconut and pineapples!  OHHH  a tropical flare :)

Thanks a million doll!
Take it away!!!
_______________________________________________________________________________

Hi, my name is Sherron and I am the blogger and photographer at Simply Gourmet Photography.  I have been taking pictures for over 20 years.  It is a hobby of mine that turned into a passion that led to a career.  My focus in the last few years has been on food.
I love food, cooking and entertaining my friends and family.
I have only been blogging for 9 months and one of the first foodie friends I met was Katrin.  I love her sense of humor. I enjoy her recipes , reading about her adventures with her family (Mr. BM and her son).
I am so thrilled that she is so happy and marrying the man of her dreams this week.
In honor of Katrin and her new journey as a bride to be and, very soon, as a new bride, I wanted to share a cake recipe with you.  After all, who does not like cake?

They say that carrot cake is becoming the new IT cake of weddings.  I have read that carrot cake is called the Passion Cake.  WOW..those are big shoes to fill...ha ha ha.
This cake is filled with lots of yummy extras that make you feel as though you were on a beach sipping a drink with an umbrella...after all, it does have coconut and pineapple baked into every bite.


My small family could not possibly eat this entire cake and so I shared it with our neighbor who the next day declared it to be "the best carrot cake he has ever had!"...I don't know about you, but that's some pretty good feed back.
I encourage you to dive right in and make this delicious carrot cake for your next family get together, church function, or office meeting.
I would also like to wish Katrin the best week in Florida with her family.
My own wedding is still so fresh in my mind, even after 24 amazing years.
Congratulations Katrin and Mr BM......you deserve this happiness!


Carrot Cake

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 large eggs
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups grated carrot
1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
1 (3 1/2-ounce) can flaked coconut
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

Line 2 round cake pans with wax paper; lightly grease and flour wax paper.
Set pans aside.

Stir together first 4 ingredients.
Beat eggs and next 4 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer
until smooth. Add flour mixture, beating at low speed until blended.
Fold in carrot and next 3 ingredients.
Pour batter into prepared cake pans.
Bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center
comes out clean.
Cool in pans on wire racks 15 minutes.
Remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
Cut the cakes in half so that you have four layers.
Spread Cream Cheese Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake.

Cream Cheese Frosting
12 oz cream cheese, softened
1 stick of butter, softened
5-6 cups of powdered sugar
1 tsp of vanilla
3-4 T. milk,  I used coconut milk
In a mixing bowl whip cream cheese and butter until smooth and fluffy.  Add
powdered sugar, vanilla and milk.  Continue mixing until you have a thick
frosting.

NOTE:  A quick tip is to lightly frost the cake with a thin layer.
Refrigerate cake for 30 minutes and then continue frosting with final layer.
This will help with keeping the crumbs out of your final layer of frosting.
Happy Baking!
Direct post on Simply Gourmet Photographys Blog found here
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment