Monday, May 7, 2012

Blackberry Sourdough Struesel Coffee Cake

So, I'm on this new adventure with my sourdough starter.
It started about a month ago.  I'd never had a starter before, but I've had my fair share of sourdough bread (carb freak) so I thought HEY why not!  Everyone else seemed to be doing it.
If my foodie friends jumped off a bridge however, I would take photos for them *from the ground*.

I got a simple starter recipe and placed it in a mason jar and waited my 7 days.
I dont know about you but waiting for something you already know about is torture!  I try to be patient in daily life but I'm not perfect and that is one trait I am constantly working on.  Funny story, I was so impatient that I was phoning people I knew who bake occassionally to see if they might have a starter (that I could take some from them) SEE not patient....

I made some breads, obviously.
But I wanted more.
There's got to be other things you can use this for right?
I started searching the Google.
Coffee cake?
Heck ya, why not?  People use sour cream in them right....similar maybe?

Ok, now to spruce it up a little...I had bought a can of blackberry pie filling (thats right Canadian friends, I said blackberry!) which I have NEVER seen in my parts.  Originally I was going to make tarts with it but hey, this seemed like a worthy cause.
I opted not to use a lot of it in fear that my lonely can would be wasted on an experiement.  I know now that it works and works well!  And I kick myself for only buying ONE can! 

The batter is thick, like a soft bread dough before adding the rest of your flour but dont fret it will turn out.
The end result was fabulous!  And I plan on making other variations of this in the near future!

Enjoy!
I'm Listening to: Army of Me, Bjork



Blackberry Sourdough Struesel Coffee Cake

recipe adapted from About.com, Jennifer McGavin's recipe for sourdough coffee cake
1 c. fed sourdough starter
1/3 c. oil
1 egg
1 c. flour
3/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. cardamom
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 c. blackberry pie filling (or more)

Stuesel
1/2 c. flour
1/4 c. brown sugar + a few tbsp. of white
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 c. butter
mix all ingredients in a bowl and set aside

Add the sourdough starter in a bowl, incorporate the rest of the ingredients (except the blackberry filling) and stir until combined.
Pour the half of the batter into a buttered and floured, 8 or 9 inch springform pan.  Add the layer of blackberry filling.  Top with remainder of the batter, it is thick so when you are smoothing the top just be patient (HA) then sprinkle the streusel mixture evenly over top.

Let the cake rise for about 30 minutes in a warm place.  I usually turn the oven on for about 2 mintues at the lowest temp.  then turn it off open the door for a minute or so then place whatever it is in to proof.

Bake at 375°F for about 40 minutes, or until cake is set and the sides begin to pull away from the pan.
Print Friendly and PDF

4 comments:

  1. Found your site on FoodBlogs.com and thought I'd check it out. Subscribed to your feed and can't wait to see what your next post will be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummmy, Katrin...would luv to have some now w/my afternoon java! You have the coolest posts!! xo Ally :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made this, too, minus the blueberries... though I was totally thinking that adding fruit to it would be a good idea. Now I know it is!! :)

    If you are looking for some fun with your sourdough starter, totally check out our new "group" Sourdough Surprises (sourdoughsurprises.blogspot.com)- it's pretty new, and very lax, but we are trying to make new things with sourdough every month. SO fun and delicious!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelley, will come on over and check things out!

      Delete