Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Using Our Noggins

The Nog.
creamy.  eggy.  sweet.
FATTY.
Good thing it is only out once a year right?

Just after Thanksgiving while at the grocery store Little Ugh goes running to the milk section.
Could he be looking for some healthy milk to guzzle down?
Not likely.
He was searching for the nog.
"Why don't they have it out yet??!!?"  (Keep in mind our Thanksgiving is October)
"Because bud, they only bring it out for the Christmas season, you know, like the candy cane ice cream (droooool)"
Not a happy shopping trip for either of us really.

I admit that in the past I have bought our egg nog.  I've never made it before, nor have I really thought about it until now.
Now's as good a time as any right?
I know lots of people who make it, who only EVER make it.
I also know lots of people that eat take out 4 times a week but I don't judge them, so don't judge me!

We wanted a lower fat version, no cream, and I wanted something cooked - no raw eggs thanks.
The first time around I added a tad too many cloves, not that it was bad...it was just a little TOO clovey, if that makes any sense.
I think we also simmered the mixture about 45 seconds too long, it was a little thicker than what I was hoping for. 
It couldn't have been all bad because Little Ugh drank the entire batch and said it was WAY better than the store bought version.
So for our first time making the nog it was a hit and I think know we will be making more in the coming weeks!
Enjoy

I'm Listening To: Charlie Brown Christmas in the background (on TV!)


(Lower in Fat) Egg Nog
makes a small batch
2 whole eggs + 1 yolk
1/4 c. vanilla sugar
1/2 vanilla bean
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. cornstarch
2 c. 1% milk

In a bowl whisk the eggs, sugar, cloves and cornstarch until a very pale yellow.
Meanwhile over low/medium heat in a saucepan simmer 1 1/2 c. of the milk along with the vanilla bean which has been split and seeds removed and added.
Once heated fully add slowly to the egg mixture in a stream (so as to not scramble the eggs) while whisking vigorously.
Add back into the pot and bring back to a simmer while stirring with a wooden spoon continuously.
You'll want to watch it and once it coats the back of a spoon (about 7 minutes) remove from heat and add in the other 1/2 c. milk.
Strain through a sieve, pour into a clean bowl and set in the fridge until completely chilled.

This recipe was inspired by Food Network's Low-Fat Egg Nog
Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

  1. I adore eggnog, and am absolutely happy to find lower fat options :)

    ReplyDelete