Saturday, March 3, 2012

Sweet n Spicy BBQ Chips

Oh, hello little morsels of crunch.


I normally don't like you but that was until I made you from scratch!  Now I might have a problem.

My newest friend and compadre in the kitchen is my Pampered Chef mandoline, a gift from my mother-in-law-to-be at my wedding shower.
I received many wonderful things but I sorta, kinda, was a little more thrilled with this gift.  Is that wrong?
I'd wanted one for ever but refused to pay for it (much like my pining for a Le Crueset) so when I wanted au gratin potatoes, thinly sliced anything, julienned carrots I did it by hand.  My knife skills are less than par so you can only imagine one THIN piece of potato and then another that is 2 inches thick (ok, maybe not THAT bad, but not chef worthy that's for sure) and me pulling my hair out and tossing everything into a pan and calling it a dinner.
That is until NOW.
Since the boys are by no means fan of au gratin potatoes, which I had FIRST wanted to make with my new toy I decided to make them a treat.
LOVE.
How did I ever exist without this before?
I'm livin now folks!

So not only did I make chips, I came up with what I deem to be the best combo of sweet and spicy bbq flavors to adorn these crispy roots.
I hope I'm able to recreate this (even though I made a bunch) because I winged it a little.  Some of this some of that but I know I only used one spoon and my fingers.
Eat your heart out Lays!

Here's how you can make the bbq flavor:

2 tsp. GOOD smokey hot paprika
1 tsp. ground mustard
1 tsp. onion salt
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. chili powder
2 tsp. fine sea salt
fresh cracked pepper to taste
1 - 1 1/2 tbsp. brown sugar

Mix all ingredients together, making sure the brown sugar has its lumps removed.

To make the chips - thinly slice washed potatoes either with a mandoline, food processor or by hand.
Toss into a bowl of water and into the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
Remove and drain and place on a towel - dry with another towel (or paper towel if you prefer)

Heat oil either in a deep fryer or large pot to 375F.
Working in small batches place the potatoes in the oil and flip with a slotted spoon about a minute and a half in.  They will only take about 3-4 minutes depending on the thickness.
They do tell you when their done by the way the bubbles slow down.  If you push them under the oil and they don't really sizzle, they're done!

Hope you enjoy - we did!

I'm Listening to:  What Doesn't Kill You - Kelly Clarkson
Print Friendly and PDF

8 comments:

  1. Ooh, these look delish! I love my mandoline and they make preparing those so easy. Love the bbq flavor--will have to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your seasonings! I wonder if I can figure out to use this mixture on our microwave chips--or maybe do oven-baked chips...hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. best of Potato chips seasoning! spicy and savory are hardly to resist, yummy..

    cheers

    Latest Post: http://noteetc.blogspot.com/2012/02/dry-baked-brownies.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I done eat all these and shared it...now let's make somem more!! xoxo Ally

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't believe these are homemade - dying for some right now...
    Great post :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru
    Latest: Lemon Meringue Pie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Home made chips are just so good.. And so many flavors are possibl

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm, sounds like a delicious snack. I love barbecue and getting red finger tips!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also love to make my own potato chips,great job!

    ReplyDelete