Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Corn Cakes with Chipotle Yogurt Sauce

Did you see the Chipotle Yogurt Sauce?
Its PERFECT for the corn cakes I'm about to share with you.

I had to make em.
My dear friends mommy turned a milestone age 2 weeks ago and I was in charge of making them for her party.  They were gobbled up quicker than free gas!  Naturally they should be shared with my family too!  Not the gas, just the cakes.

Now these ones differed slightly than the ones I made for the soiree *using Bisquick*.
I didn't have any of that nor cornmeal on hand but I did have a box of Jiffy corn bread mix.
Honestly speaking, we picked it up on our wedding road trip, never using it before for anything so I was flying blind.
The texture was wonderful, they held up very well with the frying, and as mentioned, they accompanied the chipotle sauce swimmingly!

I roasted off some ears of corn on the bbq but using canned corn would work too.
Enjoy!

I'm Listening to:  Yellow Ledbetter - Pearl Jam


Corn Cakes with Chipotle Yogurt Sauce

makes approx. 12 - 15 2" cakes

1 box Jiffy Cornbread mix
2-3 tbsp. flour
3 ears of corn roasted and kernels removed
(or 1 can of kernels)
1/2 yellow pepper diced finely
1/2 red pepper diced finely
3-4 green onions sliced
couple pinches of fresh cracked pepper
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper

Prepare the Jiffy mix as directed on the package.
Add in the flour - your mixture should resemble a thicker pancake batter.  My first go round I didn't add any flour - they lacked a certain hold together component, hot mess I tell ya!

Incorporate the spices and then add in your veggies, stirring just to combine.
Heat a skillet on med-high.  Now, I used 2 methods of cooking these.
The first half I fried in an inch of veggie oil and the other half I simply prepared with a lightly greased pan (these turned out more like pancakes in consistency)
You choose what you feel best suits your pallet!  We enjoyed both methods.

Drop by tablespoon (rounding them out) into the pan.
Either way you choose to make them you are only going to fry them about 3 minutes per side (or less) as you want them to be golden brown.


If frying in oil, transfer to a baking sheet lined with paper towel.
You can also make a bunch and keep them hot by placing them in a warm oven (set about 200F) until all have been made and you are ready to serve.
Drizzle with cream sauce!



Print Friendly and PDF

4 comments: