Monday, June 18, 2012

Cream of 3 Mushroom Soup

I did it again.  I made a soup.
Only I didn't try it because of my detestation of mushrooms.  (that's the opposite of adoration).
However I adore my husband and he adores mushrooms as well as soup and so this recipe was prepared for him.  (aren't I the sweetest wife ever?)

It is a simple recipe as long as you have brandy (which I am sure you could substitute for red or white wine, maybe some whiskey even).  I suppose you could leave it out but I don't think you should, then again, what do I know, I didn't eat it.
Crazy enough there was a point in the cooking process where I WISHED my taste buds would erase themselves because my nostrils said MMMMM this smells like it would taste amazing! It didn't happen folks, no mushrooms nor soup crossed these lips, not this time, couldn't do it.

The recipe stems from one I found on the FoodNetwork site online and its creator was non other than BAMMMM, Emeril Lagasse.  I wish he still was on, I have fond memories of watching his shows.
There were a few substitutions, a few quantitative changes but otherwise followed.

From the reviews received, and not just from Mr. BM (I brought it to work and had the gals eat the rest of it up) this recipe is a winner, a keeper, a maker againer!

Try it out - you let me live through you on this one, tell me how you liked it!!

I'm listening to:  Payphone - Maroon 5 *because its catchy and I love a guy that sounds like a girl*


Cream of 3 Mushroom Soup

1 pint cremini mushrooms, chopped
1 pint button mushrooms, chopped
2 pints oyster mushrooms, chopped
1 large yellow onion
2 cloves garlic minced
3 celery stalks, chopped
3 tbsp butter + a little olive oil (maybe 2 tbsp.)
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 1/2 tsp fresh thyme (FRESH)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper (freshly cracked is best)
1/4 c. brandy
5 c. turkey stock (I used homemade)
1/2 c. water
1 c. heavy cream
1/2 c. 1% milk

In a large pot (I used my Le Crueset) melt the butter along with the oil.
Toss in the onions, celery, cayenne a pinch of the salt and pepper.  Cook to translucent in colour.  Add in the garlic and stir for 30 seconds so the garlic doesn't burn.
Toss in the mushrooms , thyme and the rest of the salt and pepper.


Mushrooms are full of moisture so you will want to cook this until they start to give it off, the recipe suggested about 7 minutes, mine seemed to be good around 5 so use your judgement.
Add in the brandy - WOOOO, hello nostrils!
Bring this to a boil, then add in the stock and water, bring back to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer.  Check and stir every 5 minutes or so for about 15-20 minutes.



Now, before you puree the mixture if you like some chunks in your soup like my Mr. does, take out a few tablespoons full of the mushrooms and set aside.
Remove the pot from the heat and take out your immersion blender.  Blend until smooth.
Pour in the cream and put back on the heat for 7 or 8 minutes along with the mushrooms you removed.
Eat and enjoy!


Remember, tell me what YOU think about this soup, let me live thru you!

Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

  1. You don't like mushrooms? They are my favorite, so I am thinking this recipe sounds pretty delicious:-) You win best wife award, you rock making this for your sweet hubby! Take care, Terra

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love mushrooms sauteed...I'm not a big mushroom soup eater either, but maybe we should puree them!! The recipe's great! You are a fab Mrs. BM!! xox

    ReplyDelete