Tuesday, June 5, 2012

It's Like Super 8 Up in Here!

Best thing about staying at some hotel/motels - waffle breakfast!
You know, shuffling downstairs in your jammies, hair all unkempt, with 30 other people you don't know, don't care to know and will never see again to line up to make your own breakfast.  Hot, crispy, waffles.
Pour, close, flip, wait for the beep! Hey, nice slippers!

So when we received a Cuisinart Breakfast Station as a wedding present this past weekend I nearly felt like I was back on the road, driving to Florida for the wedding all over again.  The wedding is over but this keeps my memories alive!
Pour, close, flip, wait for the beep - HOORAY!

They should make a song about waffles.  I already made up the dance, but only my kitchen walls got to see it.

Since I have never made waffles before I scoured the Google, asked for insights from my Facebook friends but ended up deciding on the Cuisinart recipe that came with the appliance since it was my first time.  My maiden test run was a success!  I didn't even have any goopiness out the sides (which I assumed I would).  I added a few things for extra flavor and used buttermilk but kept the proportions given.
I suppose next time I will read the entire directions so that I a) don't need to make 10 waffles for 2 people b) I make sure I have all my bowls set up and c) don't have to wait for my batter to be used.
This recipe is yeast based and therefore needed time to set up.  When you're hungry and want waffles this is not the recipe for you, you need to wait 1hr after you've prepared your batter before you start cookin but once you do, you've got crispy outside and fluffy inside goodness!

Enjoy!  We did!

I'm Listening to:
WAFFLE SONG!

Classic Belgium Waffles


1 1/2 c. water divided
2 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast
1/3 c. + 2 tsp. sugar
3 c. sifted flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
3 large eggs, separated
1 1/2 c. buttermilk
8 tbsp. butter, melted then cooled
2 tsp. veg oil
2 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla

Start by melting the butter and set aside to cool.
In a pot, heat 1/2 of the water (3/4c.) to lukewarm.  Dissolve yeast with a touch of the sugar and let stand until the mixture foams, about 6-7 minutes.
Beat the 2 of the egg whites until stiff peaks form and set aside

In a bowl sift together flour, nutmeg and salt. Set aside.
In another bowl add the water/yeast mixture and the egg yolks along with 1 of the whites as well as the sugar and stir to blend.  Add the remaining water, milk, melted butter, oil and vanilla and stir until smooth.

Add the liquid to the dry and beat until smooth.


Fold in the remaining egg whites and let the batter stand for 1 hr., stirring every 15 minutes.


Preheat your waffle iron, pour about 1/4 c. into the centre and using a spatula even it out - I started with the little cup provided with my waffle iron but found that it wasn't quite enough so I guesstimated as I went along.
My machine beeps when ready - I hope yours does too!  About 3 minutes or so.
DONE!
We topped ours with a simple pear compote (brown sugar, lemon juice, nutmeg and pears boiled for a minute then simmered for 10 or so)




Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about the hotel breakfast waffles! and I've been craving a Belgian waffle so it's great that you have a post about it, thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete