Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Little Ugh's Pick - TURNIPS

Turnip? What kid picks TURNIPS?  My kid does!
As I mentioned in a previous blog, we have our new veggie rule - at least one new one must enter our cart and fill our bellies each week (or each time we shop).  The choice is rotated so that the 2 "Ughs" can't complain that they have to eat gross food.  So here we are, left with turnips....or is it rutabagas?  I had a fight this weekend that they are different.  My mom used to use rutabagas when I was younger.  They look different, one has a waxy coating, the other can be peeled, they have different coloured flesh, they aren't even the same size!  I got home and have been Googling ever since. 
They are in the same family, but they are not the same (depending on which site you choose to believe)
So again, announcing...TURNIPS (can you tell by my side notes that not only am I trying to convince you that this recipe is the end all and be all of turnip recipes by prolonging the recipe but maybe a little of how I was feeling about eating them - evading!!)  Actually, if I was going to eat this veggie all the time this would be how I would make it - unless I mashed it and mixed it with potatoes

Pancetta Crusted Turnips
4-5 turnips, washed, peeled and cubed
thinly sliced pancetta
1/2 c. sesame seeds
1 egg slightly beaten
oil - for deep frying

Heat oil to 350 and oven to 350 also.
Wash, peel and cube turnips into 1x1 in cubes.  Wrap the turnips in pancetta, dip in egg wash and roll in sesame seeds.
Deep fry for about 1 minute or until seeds are golden brown (work in batches).  Place on a paper towel to drain.  Move to a baking sheet and bake for about 15-20 minutes or until soft inside.

This was paired with mozzarella and spinach stuffed chicken breasts wrapped in the left over pancetta - team consensus....we will eat them again :)
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment