Thursday, September 30, 2010

What to do With All These Apples?? Part 1 - The Cookie Post

The next few posts are going to be about apples.  Why?  Because its my blog and I can!
No, that's not it at all...I have an abundance of apples. 
A good friend and I went apple picking a week or so ago and every corner I turn there they are - those crisp, sweet/tart, red and green delectable pieces of fruit!

I hadn't really given it much thought until we were out in the orchard that day.  I heart apples! 
There was this little sign that said that "sampling was allowed" so I took full advantage of that let me tell you.
The day was beautiful, sunny, blue skies, warm with a cool breeze - almost fall, the perfect day to pluck.  The orchard had a few varieties to choose from however we picked Cortland and Empire (and I sampled both prior to purchase)
We walked around chatting, giggling and picking.  It was almost serene. And then something happened....I bit into an apple the size of an orange and a feeling of euphoria came over me - I was in love with the apple all over again!!
But much like being in love with anything you can over indulge.  This my friends is why I have multitudes of apples in the house.

I happen to have THE best chewy oatmeal apple cookie recipe for you though!! 
I am tempted to use this recipe from here on in with any cookie I make and just substitute choco chips, nuts, fresh/dried fruit - it is honestly one of the best chewy cookie recipes I have ever tried!!

CHEWY OATMEAL APPLE COOKIES

3/4 c. margarine - room temp (or butter if you prefer)
1 - 1/4 c. brown sugar
1 egg
1/4 c. milk
2 tsp. vanilla
1 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. baking soda
3 c. quick rolled oats
1 c. diced apples

Preheat oven to 375.
Blend together  margarine, sugar, milk, egg and vanilla until combined and smooth. (a whisk will do just fine)
Stir in flour, salt, cinnamon and baking soda just until combined - do not over mix.
Fold in oatmeal and apples.
Drop by tablespoon onto parchment lined baking sheet.  Bake 13-15 minutes.
Makes approx. 2 dozen
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment