Wednesday, June 29, 2011

A Great Dollar Store Purchase and Vegan Strawberry Creamsicles

Growing up I remember having homemade popcicles.
Such a cooling sensation with the summer's heat blazing down.
Why I never thought to make them as my child grew up is beyond me, I'm a bad popcicle loving mom.  Modern conveniences of running to the store to buy them as a treat just seemed more feasible doesn't it?
Now that I think about it, it never entered my mind to make my own.
Until last week.

I was on the hunt.
I even changed my facebook status to request ideas on where one could locate some wonderful containers (reusable is key).
I know they exist, I am positive I have walked numerous times past them in stores yet when I wanted to get them I was lost.
"check Kitchen Stuff Plus", "Amazon", "Home Outfitters" and the "Dollar Store" were the top 4 responses.
Dollar store, you are my friend, my sanity, my thrifty confidant.   I will check you first because cuteness doesn't mean better.

Thank you for carrying these wonderful holders for frozen goodness for a mere $1.50 Dollarama.

Now time to make some treats!

I have some fresh strawberries

and some leftover coconut milk from the Orange/Coconut Dressing I made for some wonderful Chicken Salad Pitas, this should pair nicely with the strawberries to make a creamy popcicle that is not only lactose free but also vegan!  Here we go!

So simple with only three ingredients, so flavorful and a great after dinner snack (or beforehand but don't tell).


Vegan Strawberry Creamsicles
makes 8

1 pint washed and hulled strawberries
3/4 c. coconut milk (approx. could have been closer to 1 c.)
1/4 c. vanilla sugar

In a blender combine all three ingredients and blend for about 1-2 minutes.

It shouldn't be too thick so if I was incorrect on the 3/4c. maybe throw in the other 1/4 c. of coconut milk -  sometimes I do things without measuring but you can see by the picture its up over the 1 c. mark.  I added the strawberries first and the milk afterwards.

Pour into your containers



Freeze for a few hours, run under some hot water to loosen and remove.
Enjoy!!




Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

  1. I have been looking for an inexpensive set of these too. This looks delicious. There are so many things you can do.
    I actually had a notion of making gaspacho pops as an appetizer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh do it! I actually just saw a recipe for that yesterday, if I recall where I will post as they looked amazing :)

    ReplyDelete