Monday, June 20, 2011

MashUp Monday - The Meatlovers Pizza Meatloaf

Don't go telling those infected with the Meatless Monday bug about this post - they will have my head in a bread basket.
There is so much meat its ridonkulous.
Actually its so darn tasty who cares about them, send them the post and tell them to eat it tomorrow.
I blaze my own trails.

I have been sitting on this one for about a week now and thought about making it yesterday so that I could post it bright and early this morning but that wouldn't be true to my roots.
All MashUp meals are created and made on Mondays, no exceptions.

I dreaded my decision this morning when I woke up to what feels like a million razor blades in my throat and little leprechauns yanking on my eyelids.
I'm sick.
Mr. BM is sick.
Little Ugh - not sick YET.

All I could think of is please let me have taste buds so I can enjoy this dish, PAULLEASSSE!
I do have taste buds, what I don't have is an appetite.
I did manage a few bites and of those that didn't feel like they were ripping my throat apart tasted super.

So what is this all about?
Don't mistake this for a pizza recipe with meatloaf on it, its quite the opposite.
This is a versatile way of making interesting meatloaves.
Take your favorite pizza toppings and incorporate them inside, and on top.

Mr. BM's favorite pizza toppings are extra cheese, onion, pepperoni and bacon, and so that is what we had.
Next time I am going to make it Little Ugh's way - the Hawaiian. (making it solely from ground pork)

It worked well
The meatloaf was flavored immensely
It was one of the moistest meatloaves I have ever had.
And you don't need mashed potatoes and gravy!
A nice light salad and bread sticks will do just nicely.
Enjoy.

I'm listening to:  Down on the Corner - CCR


Meat Lovers Pizza Meatloaf
serves 4

1 lb ground pork
1 lb extra lean ground beef
2 small onions
8 slices of bacon, cubed
30 pepperoni slices
1 yellow pepper
1 c. mozzarella/cheddar cheese grated
1/2 c. milk
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 c. breadcrumbs
1 package meatloaf seasoning (clubhouse)
1/2 c. spaghetti sauce
1 tsp. fresh oregano


In a bowl combine the beaten egg and milk and set aside.

Chop up your veggies and slice all the pepperonis except for 16.
In a skillet brown your bacon pieces until nearly crisp and add in the onion.


Once they are translucent remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel.
In a large bowl combine the ground meats, eggs mixture, bread crumbs, veggies, seasoning and oregano.

Mix together.
Place half of the mixture in a loaf pan, top with half of the tomato sauce, top with 8 pepperoni slices and a 1/2 of the cheese.


Mound the remaining meat over top and try to seal it on the sides adding the rest of the sauce and peps.

Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 45-50 minutes.
Remove from the oven, place the remainder of the cheese on top and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
Once done, let stand 10 minutes to make slicing easier.
Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

  1. LOVE this concept! What a great idea. The extras in this meatloaf sound SOooo yummy.

    Thanks for linking it up to our virtual pizza party!

    ReplyDelete