Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Rice Puddin for an Old Man

I was blessed with a wonderful visit from my folks this weekend.
Wow, ask me when I was 16 if I would ever say those words HAHA
Just kidding mom/dad, I loved you then too....

The rents live about 2 hours from me, which is likely why I still talk to them.

Far enough away that I don't see them often, yet close enough for an afternoon visit with some lunch, some tea, some dessert and a quick trip to the bridal shop to show them my dress!!! (btw, they love it)

My parents are huge advocates of this blog, my mom and dad tell me all the time how much they want me to make them this or that when they come to visit so I figured something special was in order.
Wanna know what I made for lunch?
...
...
get ready
...
...
cold cut sandwiches!! HAHA!  I didn't even make homemade mayo or bread - tisk tisk.

Alright, lunch itself was a little boring, generic, do I dare say amature?  But that was sort of the feel I was going for since I wanted to make my dad's favorite dessert of all time and take the hype of lunch...
Rice pudding!

Again, not super fancy but a creamy, slightly sweet dessert with a bit of a twist. 
Softened caramelly apples in place of the more traditional rum soaked raisins.

Dad loved it (right dad?) You didn't even need your dentures or your seniors discount card!


Apple Rice Pudding

For the apples:
1 gala apple peeled, cored and cubed
water
1 1/2 tbsp. brown sugar
Pudding:
2 c. pre cooked and cooled rice
3 c. milk (we use 1% in our house)
1/2 c. vanilla sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon

After you have peeled, cored and cubed your apples place them in a pot with enough water to just fill the bottom along with the sugar.
Over medium heat with a lid on top let the apples start to produce their own liquid through the steam.  You will need to stir occasionally and maybe add a bit more water so the sugar doesn't burn.
They will soften and get caramelly in about 5-7 minutes
*make sure you watch them tho!*
After the apples are finished you can either use that pot or a new pot - I am a fan of 1 pot cooking because I don't own a dishwasher and doing dishes is my least favorite chore.

So, in the pot add all of the ingredients, stir, and bring to a boil over high heat.

Once it comes to a boil, lower the temperature and simmer for about 45 minutes or until the liquid has been absorbed by the rice.
You can serve this warm or cold but I prefer cold.
Oh, and you'll notice no after picture, well that's because my dad decided he didn't need fancy plating, just give him a spoon and the large bowl. (must be an "old man" thing)

Enjoy!
Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

  1. Rice Puddin a perfect lunch for aged people.Its full of nutrion and rich minerals are also in to make it delicious.

    ReplyDelete