Sunday, June 5, 2011

Spicy BBQ Chicken Sandwich with Homemade Broccoli Slaw

When its humid I have no desire to cook inside the house, there is really no good reason to heat up the confines of my tiny kitchen when its not necessary.
Besides that, its BBQ season!

Recently I spotted a habenaro lime bbq sauce at our local grocery store and thought, I wanna use that.
I picked it up last night on the way home planning on dousing the chicken breasts I had defrosting in it when I realized that I am really the only person in the house that likes extreme spice.
I doubted that it was crazy in the "spicy" capacity but wanted to have a cooling back up just in case.

The real star of this main was the coleslaw, or A/C for your mouth as I would like to call it and not the bbq sauce.

Now generally I don't touch the stuff with a ten foot pole fork. 
I'm pretty sure it was the neon green fast food joint coleslaw sludge that turned me off at a young age, reminds me of Slimer from Ghostbusters. *shiver*
I have to say that cabbage isn't regularly in our meal plans either so it gets a bum rap all around from me personally.

This slaw was made with broccoli slivers to replace the dreaded C word along with a bunch of other crispy veggies. 
It had crunch, texture, flavor and the dressing helped to work as a great cooling method for the not so spicy habenaro BBQ sauce.

I will totally make this again (in fact we have a family picnic next weekend and I just might make it to throw on some hot dogs!)

I'm Listening To: Hey There Delilah - Plain White T's


Broccoli Coleslaw

2 c. thinly sliced broccoli stalks
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cucumber, cut into matchsticks
2 carrots, cut into matchsticks
1/2 c. red cabbage, thinly sliced
dressing:
1/3 c. sour cream
1/3 c. light mayo (Hellman's is the best)
2-3 tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. freshly cracked pepper
salt to taste

First you should wash your veggies and pat dry with a paper towel.
I found that using a potato peeler to create strips then cutting them into matchsticks worked best however if you have any other suggestions please let me know - it was rather painstaking and the longest part of this meal I think.

Cut up all your veggies and toss into a bowl

In a separate bowl place all of the dressing ingredients and stir with a whisk until smooth.


Add the dressing to the veggie bowl and toss around


Enjoy as a side or as we did - on your sandwich!

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment