Thursday, June 9, 2011

Rhubarb Resurrection! Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp

Hallelujah!
Somehow, someway, the lost, limp, rhubarb was revived, I didn't murder it as previously posted.

I took a chance, I rolled the dice.  Really what was I to lose?

Deciding not to throw it out was possibly the best idea I had all week, well, except to cut the bottoms off the stems and throw them in a glass of cold water for an hour or so. I thought maybe since I do that with flowers when they are lacking in erectness maybe, just maybe it would work AND IT DID!!!

Insert me jumping around the kitchen like someone who just won the lottery.
(I'm not saying you should let your produce go bad so you can see if I am right - just trust my happy post as accurate)

Maybe I subconsciously knew I could get it back and that's why I didn't toss them in the trash?
Well, whatever the reason is, it doesn't matter, all that matters is now I can make dessert.

I decided to check out the good ole interweb since I have never baked with rhubarb before.  I have my go to crumble recipe that I use for all fruit so it was just a matter of deciding if anything needed to happen to the fruit.  Did I simply cut it up, throw it in the dish as I would apples?
I borrowed Chef Emeril's idea of cornstarch, sugar and a touch of lemon juice for the fruit portion.
I have to say it was really tart, maybe too tart for me.
Is it supposed to be like that??

I'm Listening To: The Gambler, Kenny Rogers

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp

5 c. strawberries, hulled, washed and halved
3 c. trimmed rhubarb, cut
1/4 c. cornstarch
1/2 c. vanilla sugar
1 tsp. lemon juice
3/4 c. oatmeal
3/4 c. cake flour
1 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. cardamom
1 tsp. nutmeg
6 tbsp. cold margarine (or butter, butter is probably better but I didn't have any)


Wash and cut up the fruit

Place in a bowl with the cornstarch, sugar and lemon juice.  Toss to coat.


Turn into a baking dish
In a separate bowl combine the oatmeal, flour, sugar and spices.  With your hands break up the margarine in the oatmeal mixture until it resembles little pellets.
Place over top of the fruit.


Bake in a pre heated oven at 350F for about 45 minutes

Serve with some freshly whipped cream or vanilla ice cream mmmmmmm
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment