Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A Work In Progress...Artichoke Stuffed Chicken w Asiago Sauce

To err is human, right?

How come I never post my negative thoughts on the dishes we make or any catastrophes in the kitchen?
Well, that's because I am perfect, my food is always a breath of fresh air and I can't make mistakes
YA RIGHT!

I just don't see any need to dwell on the bad.  What I might want to make changes to, you might not, when I make dishes a second or third time I usually change things up here and there anyway so these recipes are more like guidelines for me.
Practice makes perfect.

Alas, I will post about last nights dinner because I know I want to make some revisions and maybe you have suggestions.

It wasn't a failure, but it does need to be tweaked. (although you might like it the way I made it (the boys did) and if you do let me know OR if you make it your own let me know what you did to revise it!)

I'm posting it here also to ensure I remember how it was made and where I want to make my changes. 
If I were to write it down in a book or on a piece of paper it would get lost in the abyss otherwise known as my drawers.

The dish itself was inspired by one of my favorite dips.
Artichoke and Asiago.
Dam I could eat a tub of that to myself, with some fresh bread, or chips.
Heck, I am pretty sure I have scooped a spoonful up and eaten it alone on a few occasions.  (swoon)

Here's my thought process:
Stuff chicken breasts with an artichoke filling and make a sauce with asiago cheese.
Makes sense.
Oh by the way, I should divulge that I have never actually purchased and used an artichoke. EVER.

Me = zealous.
Let's just say I came out with an artichoke sliver, a mess on the counter and an appreciation for the cost of the dip. 
There seemed to be a lot of waste when you only want the heart. (which by the way nearing the end of peeling reminded me of an orchid, delicate, purpley and pretty!)


revision #1 - buy artichoke hearts in a can

Once that task was complete it was a whole other ballgame.
I didn't want anything crazy in the stuffing to take away from the artichoke so I opted for a simple breadcrumb, parm, artichoke, garlicky middle.

revision #2 - maybe just use artichoke and some cream cheese or ??? for the filling.  It was a bit too salty with the parm.

Oh then we make it to the sauce.
It was pretty good, not showstoppingly superb like I was hoping for but darn tasty. 
We aren't wine drinkers although we seem to get bottles from people during the holidays.
So when I started concocting I was planning on wine...until I realized we only had red - fail. 
Call to Mr BM to pick me up chicken stock on his way home.
Here comes revisions 3 and 4:

revision #3 - use white wine in the sauce rather than chicken stock
revision #4 - don't use as much asiago cheese *or maybe with the wine the amount was good?*

I think when I try this again, try making it into a mash up meal by coating the outside with crushed potato chips *like chips and dip*

So, there is my review on dinner.  A few blunders in the kitchen.  Happy, I am human too :)

I'm Listening to: Perfect - Simple Plan

Artichoke Stuffed Chicken With Asiago Sauce

3 chicken breasts, boneless.skinless
1 artichoke (heart)
water with lemon juice for the heart
2 cloves garlic chopped
bread crumbs
Parmesan reggiano
pepper

Sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
oil/butter for sauteing
2 tbsp. flour
1 c. asiago cheese, shredded
1 c. chicken stock
fresh parsley

Artichoke prep:
Cut the stem off the choke and wash well.
Start peeling off the leaves until you get to the soft, white and purple middle.

With a spoon scrape out the fibrous, flower like centre,
Cut the heart into chunks and throw it in a bowl of water with a bit of lemon juice.


In a frying pan with a bit of bacon fat (or butter and oil) on medium heat, saute the artichoke for a few minutes until tender then add the garlic for another minute or so.  Add in the breadcrumbs and parm cheese.  Stir to incorporate.
Set aside to cool.

Butterfly the chicken breasts and with a meat mallet whack them so they become thinner and evenly dispersed.
Place a few tbsp. of the cooled mixture in the centre and start rolling from the widest side.

Brown in a heavy skillet on all sides and toss in the oven at 350 F for about 20 minutes more.

To make the sauce add a tbsp. of olive oil with 1 tbsp. butter, melt.
Add in the garlic and saute for a minute.
Sprinkle in your flour and stir around. 


I like my roux to be a bit darker in colour (which helps to take the flour taste out) so I cook it for about 2 minutes or so (on med heat still)


Add in the chicken stock, stirring consistently to break up the roux.

Next toss in the cheese and stir.


If you find that its too thick, add a bit more liquid.

Plate your chicken and pour a few teaspoons of sauce over the top.  Sprinkle fresh parsley over top (or throw it into the sauce at the last moment before serving)

Fin!
Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Betty Martha, that's how good cooks roll -- try, adapt, tweak. Loved your artichoke heart photo, too!
    ~ Kimby (from basilmomma's hop)

    ReplyDelete