Thursday, December 30, 2010

Fettuccine Noodles Today, Tomorrow....THE WORLD!

I got new toys! I got new toys!
For as long as I can remember I have wanted a Kitchen Aid mixer.  I have even gone as far as trying to swindle my mom into giving me hers (which came from my Opa when they first moved to Canada in the 50's) it was a no go.  But I now have my very own and I call her Wanda.  No, its not weird to name your kitchen appliances, I am sure many people do it...right?
This isn't the only new toy I got though!!!
I also got a pasta maker - and not the attachment to the mixer either.  I have wanted one of those too and now I have both :)
Meet Rosa
Oh, her name?  Rosa (a nice Italian name of course)
Now me being me I had to use them both for 1 meal.  I made my dough in Wanda and rolled it with Rosa.  I like my new friends and they work well together.
Mr. BM, he didn't care too much for Rosa but warmed up to Wanda pretty quickly when she helped to make his apple pie.
The rest of us (Little Ugh, his friend and I) enjoyed a nice heaping bowl of fettuccine bolognese - all from scratch!!

It was a bit of a gong show in the kitchen when I first started the rolling and hanging process - plastic hangers hooked on to kitchen cupboards, flour on the counters, floors, me yelling for more hands.  But once I got the hang of it, smooth sailin and good eats!

I think even if I didn't have a pasta machine I might have tried to make it - can you say adventurous?
Here's how you can make this too:

Egg Pasta Recipe

3-4 eggs (start with 3 then add fourth if not coming together)
2 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tbsp. olive oil

In your stand mixer bowl, add flour and salt.  Stir for 20 seconds.  Add eggs one at a time until combined.  Slowly drizzle in olive oil.  Dough should come together forming a ball.  Turn out onto a floured surface.  Knead the dough for a good 7-10 minutes to work the gluten.  Wrap in plastic wrap and let it rest for at least 30 minutes.

Cut dough into 3 sections.  Lightly flour work surface and dough.  Start your pasta machine on the highest setting.  Run the dough through 3 times on the highest setting, folding in half and dusting with flour each time going through.  Lower the setting one notch at a time and run pasta through only once on each.  For fettuccine the third or fourth setting is the best.  Finally run through the cutters.
Hang your pasta either with a broomstick over 2 chairs or my fav: the plastic hanger hooked on cupboard doors to let dry for about 15 minutes or so.

Lightly salt a pot of boiling water and add the pasta.  Fresh pasta takes much less time than the dry stuff so boil for about 4-5 minutes.
Add to your favorite sauce - We used a bolognese type tonight
I may never have store bought pasta again!!
MMM Finished product
Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment: