Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A Magazine Recipe - Spicy Bread Alert!

I flip through myriads of foodie magazines at home, I always peruse through them at the checkout (annoying the man behind me as I hum and ha about purchasing yet another) I sometimes scribble out notes while in the doctors office (because I feel bad ripping out the pages) and yet I can honestly say with all the recipes I see on almost a daily basis I have yet to actually make any of them.

This changes when I spied a focaccia recipe in the October issue of Canadian Living yesterday.
I love all things bread.
My favorite smell is freshly baked bread steaming from the oven.
I burn my fingertips trying to be the first to taste it with a slab of butter.  And it doesn't matter how many times that happens, it will be a constant, it will never change!

Did you know that most artisan breads are best if let to rest at least 30 minutes prior to slicing?
Pffft that may totally be true but this gal doesn't wait for someone else to have the first piece!

My bread maker sits on a shelf in my kitchen collecting dust.  I like to make it by hand(ish).
This recipe peeked my interest with some bold flavors of chipotle and aged cheddar.
Sounds right up my alley!
And boy was it, burning fingers and all.

Normally my breads are mixed, risen and baked all in one day so when I realized I had to proof overnight it was a little depressing.  I hoped I wouldn't wait all night long only for it to be rock hard (ever have that happen?  I have). 
Success!  Totally worth the wait my friends.

I'm Listening To: Workin for the Weekend - Loverboy


Chipotle n Cheddar Focaccia
recipe provided and revised from Canadian Living, October 2011
3/4 tsp. active yeast (dry)
pinch of cumin
1 1/4 c. warm water
3 1/2 c. white bread flour
1/3 c. whole wheat flour (original recipe calls for spelt)
3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
1 /2 tsp. dry oregano
1 c. old cheddar



In your stand mixer bowl combine water with yeast and cumin.  Let sit so it foams up - about 8 minutes.  Add in the dry ingredients and with a dough hook attached mix on low (level 2-4) for about 15 minutes.  If you need to add a little extra flour do it in the first 5 minutes.
The dough should barely hold together but be slightly sticky and smooth.
Form into a ball, toss into a well greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator overnight. ( I KNOW!)

In the morning remove from fridge and let it come to room temp (about 2 1/2 hours).  Lightly deflate and turn onto a floured surface.  Knead in your chopped chipotle peppers and shape into a ball, pulling the ends underneath like a package.  Place on a lightly floured sheet and cover with a slightly damp tea towel to rise for about an hour. (More waiting!)

Shape the dough to your pan; I used a cookie sheet lined with parchment.  Stretch with your fingers, no rolling!

Cover again once it fits your pan for another 30 minutes.
Now its time to get ready to bake!
Press indentations with your finger and fill with a touch of oregano and cheese.


Place in a preheated 400F oven and bake for about 15 minutes.
Let cool, or don't, I wouldn't....
You can slice this puppy up and make sandwiches or if you're like me you grab a slice and slather it with butter.
YUM!
Print Friendly and PDF

11 comments:

  1. This looks and sounds wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes! Love focaccia bread - love these flavors!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This looks so good! I love making my own bread. I'm with you, waiting 30 minutes to slice into it? Heck no! When that baby comes out of the oven, it's sliced and served!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Must be awesome in taste and anything with cheese added will make drool,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing beats bread fresh from the oven. Loving the use of chipotle and cheddar. I can just imagine it used for a sandwich - maybe a cuban? Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm I love bread! I can eat that stuff straight up! I am loving the spicy twist on this. Sounds freakin delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I would be so clipping this too. I love the whole idea so many ingredients I like

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, my, I can see why this one caught your attention! Truly a yummy bread. And it's finally cool enough to turn on the oven...hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great recipe! Thank you for the great instruction because this might be my first focaccia! However, since fresh green chile is abundant right now, I might substitute the chipotle with green chile. YUMMY recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Who the heck lets bread rest for 30 minutes when it comes out of the oven?! Certainly not I - I usually burn my tongue on it! This would make one mighty good sandwich.

    ReplyDelete