Thursday, September 8, 2011

Chicken Milanese

Flat chicken.  That's what Little Ugh calls it.
By no means is he referring to taste.  He thinks its funny that people cut the breast and then pound it out to make it super thin.  What does he know, he's just a kid.

Because son, it takes less time to cook (but more time to prepare), because it can be breaded and fried or baked and still be juicy, but mostly because you didn't do your homework and since I can't beat you I might as well take it out on the chicken right?
I could have said that. maybe. probably. I did.

Normally when I pound out chicken or veal or pork for that matter I have been known to top it with red sauce and cheese for a scallopini.  Today there will be none of that.
Simple flavors are big flavors!
Enjoy

I'm listening to: We Didn't Start the Fire - Billy Joel


Chicken Milanese
makes 2 servings
1 c. bread crumbs
1 egg
2 small chicken breasts
1 c. flour
salt and pepper
a few tbsp. fresh parsley
lemon
oil/butter

Those are your ingredients, you can alter but increasing the servings - it was just for 2 this time around.
Set up 3 shallow dishes, 1 with beaten egg and about 1 tsp. oil, 1 with flour and the other with bread crumbs.
Chop up some fresh parsley and toss it into the dish with the bread crumbs.

With the smallest part of the breast facing you slice it down the middle like you are wanting to open a book (don't go all the way thru).  Place between plastic wrap and with a meat mallet gently pound to about 1/8th of an inch.  Season with salt and pepper.  (actually, you should season all your dishes too, build your flavors)

Now you're ready to bread.
Start by coating the chicken in flour, shaking off excess.  Dip in whisked egg/oil mixture and then over to the bread crumbs.  Pat down so you get optimum coverage.

In a skillet melt some butter with a touch of oil.
Fry on one side about 2 1/2 minutes, flip and continue for another 2 - 2 1/2 minutes.
To serve, squeeze some lemon over each breast!
Print Friendly and PDF

9 comments:

  1. Looks Yummy!! Beating the chicken instead of the kid cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never challenge a woman with a meat mallet in her hand... :) Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I have my dinner inspiration for tomorrow night :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I'd know about this growing up.. I coul have encourage my mother... LOL.. Don't worry I did not have a Mommy Dearest childhood.
    I love Chicken Milanese

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am from Milan, and we call this dish "Cotoletta" ... congratulations for the recipe... I like it!

    thetwinkycake.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great! I am trying to figure out dinner tonight. I have thawed chicken, so this is under consideration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks simple and delicious! I love pounding down the chicken breasts...it also makes them more tender! This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm...I love simple, delicious recipes like this!!! YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks good and simple--perfect for a weeknight dinner!

    ReplyDelete