Monday, September 19, 2011

Autumn Cake

Farmers market season is coming to an end.
GASP
Its time to stalk up on fresh homegrown goodies my friends!
Friday we picked up tonnes of lovelies but my favorite thing this week was a bunch of parsnips.

They're related to the carrot, not like a sister, more like an aunt twice removed.  They are both root veggies, grown in the ground.  They are white, slightly sweet with a hint of a spice you may recognize - I say cardamom.

Mr. BM looked at me with a half cocked grin when I picked them up and pretended to put them in my ears to symbolize I was not listening to him when he was trying to tell me he wouldn't eat them.
Oh you'll eat them because you wont even know you are doing it!

Today I pulled them out, peeling and grating like a mad woman.
I do not own a food processor, I suspect this would have made the task easier.  They are definitely the annoying relative of the carrot - they don't shred as well. 

I was bound and determined to make a cake inspired by fall and carrots.
I think I succeeded.
The boys came home today, I handed them each a piece of cake and they thought it was carrot cake - teehee
I bet your family will enjoy this too!

I'm listening to: Change (In the House of Flies) Deftones


Parsnip Spice Cake w Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
adapted from Epicurious

1 1/2 c. flour
1 c. vanilla sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp ground nutmeg
3/4 tsp ground allspice
3/4 tsp ground cloves
3 eggs
1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil
1/4 c. milk
1/4 c. heavy cream 
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 c. parsnips / carrot blend (I used 2 parsnips 1 carrot)

Frosting:
1 brick cream cheese, softened
zest of 1 orange + 1 tbsp. juice
3/4 c. icing sugar


Preheat oven to 350F.
Prepare your pans by buttering and adding a dusting of flour - I used 8x8 square pans (2) but you could use 1 longer pan.

Combine flour, sugar, and spices into a bowl, stir to combine.
Whisk eggs, oil, milk/cream, and vanilla in medium bowl to combine.
Add wet to dry ingredients; stir until just combined.

Stir in parsnips and carrot mixture.


Transfer batter to prepared pans.


Bake about 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center. Cool cake completely in pan on rack.

Beat cream cheese in a bowl until smooth. Add in zest. Gradually add powdered sugar and juice of the orange, beat until frosting is smooth. Spread over cake.
Print Friendly and PDF

5 comments:

  1. COOOOOL cake! I bet it has a nice spiced bite to it. You're so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't think of anything better to bring in fall! This looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea to use parsnips! I love it! This has all the delicious flavors of fall, too! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL at "grating like a mad woman!" Personally, I love additions like the one you made, but when I serve this to my hubby, I'm going to call it Autumn Cake (or "carrot cake", tee hee.) Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes we don't follow logic. It makes so much sense that you could also use parsnip in a carrot cake recipe and re-imagine it.. How about Autumnal Glory as a name?

    ReplyDelete