Sunday, August 26, 2012

Fruit Eruption Muffin - Copycat Recipe

Ok, I don't know why people call it a 'copycat recipe' when in reality we all know that the fine establishments we find dishes to re-create at home don't give us their recipes to copy.
So lets just say this is a "made my own version of your idea without any instruction" recipe shall we?

For some this may be a fantastic new muffin recipe you have to try because you've never seen anything like it (and in that case, I made it up all on my own HA HA) but for others, you have heard, seen or eaten a "fruit explosion" muffin from Tim Horton's before.

If you follow my fan page on Facebook, you might have recently seen me post that I don't often make muffins. I see them floating around on pages/blogs and every time one catches my eye I think, hell ya, I've gotta make muffins. 
And then I go about my business and it never happens.
Kind of like when you think to yourself I should really clean out the fridge.
Out of sight, out of mind.
Then I woke up this morning, smoothied (like juiced only creamier LOL) and had a whack load of energy so on top of the other 75 things I wanted to do today, making muffins was at the top of the list!
So I did!

I used the base of my award winning (for reals) blueberry muffin recipe (because if it ain't broke don't fix it), added in some oatmeal, created a fruit mixture to put in the middle of the muffins and made these!


And yes, they are exploding with goodness!


Enjoy!

I'm listening to:  Kid Cudi - Pursuit of Happiness

Fruit Eruption Muffin
makes 14

For the filling:
1 ripened peach, cut into cubes
handful of blueberries
about 7 or 8 strawberries cut
1/3 c. water
1 1/2 tbsp. cornstarch
2 tbsp. sugar

For the muffins:
1/2 c. softened butter
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
3/4 milk
1/4 c. yogurt (flavored if you will)
2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 c. rolled oats (not instant)
1 peaches cubed
1/2 c. fresh blueberries
sliced strawberries for the top

Filling -
In a sauce pan/pot combine all ingredients well.  Cook over low/medium heat to dissolve the sugar/cornstarch.  Once dissolved turn up the heat slightly so the mixture barely comes to a boil, stirring constantly so it doesn't stick or burn.  Mash the fruit down a little so you don't have big chunks, you want the mixture to be mostly a puree consistency with a few pieces of fruit kickin around.
Once the mixture has thickened remove from the pot into another container and let cool (about 15 minutes or so) *note, it doesn't need to be chilled, just cool to touch*

Muffins -
In the bowl of your electric mixer cream butter with sugar; beat in eggs one at a time. Gradually stir in milk and yogurt (mixture may appear curdled).
Add in the dry ingredients by hand just until combined. Gently fold in blueberries and peaches.
Spoon into well-greased muffin cups, filling half way, top with a teaspoon full of the filling mixture and add a dollop of batter on top.  Place 2 sliced strawberries over the top and bake in 350F for 25 to 30 minutes or until tops are firm to the touch.
Cool in the pan about 10 minutes (because of the fruit mixture bubbling over you may need to help the muffins along by using a spoon around the edges when its still warm to release the sides).  Move to a wire cooling rack until you can no longer handle it and want to eat them!


Print Friendly and PDF

10 comments:

  1. These remind me of "Peek-a-boo" bars... I **LIKEY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OHHHHH my goodness!!!!!!!!!!! Need one asap pleeeeassse?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay you had me at explosion!!!! I have made a fruity muffins from Sunny on Food Network, and adore them. I thought those muffins were hearty, but yours certainly win the hearty fruity muffin award!!!! I love the addition of peaches, what a gorgeous mix of flavors:-) Hugs, Terra

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could eat about three dozen of your little fruit explosion muffins! Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh I miss Tim Hortons! I always go when I visit my parents in Montreal! :) But I bet your muffins are even better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have a Tim Hortons by me but these look incredible. I'm definitely going to give these a try as soon as I clean out my fridge. ;) xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me thinks you're now the muffin queen!! Just stunning and I know great tasting!! xo ally

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look so good! I don't know Tim Horton's but if they make stuff like that, I wish I did!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YUM!!! I didn't have any berries on hand so I substituted a tin of fruit cocktail in the batter, and put a dollop of cherry pie filling in the middle. VERY much like Tims!! Thank you so much :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it and thanks for sharing your substitutions!
      Its always great to have alternative ideas :)

      Delete