Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Searching for Lite Rye Bread

Bavarian Light Rye, toasted, peanut butter.
Makes my mouth water every time.

I'm still searching for that spectacular recipe - if you have one PLEASE do share!

I managed to wrangle a decent lighter rye bread recipe from a good foodie friend, Becca from Its Ymmilicious a little while ago and I have been holding on to this one for dear life - I have it saved on my computer, backed it up and even printed it because its pretty darn good.
NOT my Bavarian but a tasty lighter rye (no caraway) version.

Thanks Becca for answering my call!!
She even typed it from her textbook "On Baking - A Textbook of Baking & Pastry Fundamentals, 2nd Ed.; Sarah R. Labensky; Pearson/Prentice Hall 2009"  how great is she?

Trust me, it should be on your list of things to make if you like rye breads
Just look at this!


Now how can you say no to that?
I didn't think so.

Enjoy!

I'm listening to (the song that is stuck in my head for weeks now) Whistle - Flo Rida

Light Rye Bread

makes 2 loaves
1 pound unbleached wheat flour (I used bread)
8 ounces medium rye flour
3 ounces dark molasses
14 fl. ounces warm water
0.5 ounces (1 Tablespoon) active dry yeast
1.5 ounce nonfat dry milk powder
1 Tablespoon Kosher salt
0.5 ounce unsalted butter, melted
Egg wash, as needed
Cornmeal or oil, as needed
Stir the flours together and set aside.

To make the sponge, combine the molasses, water and yeast.  Add 8 ounces of the flour mixture.  Stir vigorously for 3 minutes.  Cover the bowl and set aside to ferment until doubled in size and very bubbly, approximately 1 hour.

Stir the milk powder, salt, and butter into the sponge.

Transfer the dough to the bowl of a mixer fitted with a dough hook.
Gradually add the remaining flour to the sponge.  Mix on low speed and continue adding flour until the dough is stiff but slightly tacky. 


Knead 5 minutes on low speed until the dough reaches 77 degrees F.

Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl, cover and place in a warm place until doubled in size, approximately 45 to 60 minutes.
Punch down the dough and divide into 2 equal pieces.  Shape each piece into a loaf and place in a loaf pan that has been dusted with cornmeal or lightly oiled.  Brush the loaves with egg wash and let rise until doubled in size, approximately 45 minutes.
Score the tops with a razor or knife.  Bake at 375 F until golden brown and crusty, approximately 25 minutes.


Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

  1. This is smokin' deeeeliscious lookin' rye bread! You, Ms Bm are making Mr. BM very happy!! xo Ally

    ReplyDelete
  2. Babycakes, I LOVED helping you out. I sure hope that your favorite recipe comes strolling along soon!

    ReplyDelete