Monday, January 17, 2011

No Yeast Cinnamon Rolls

YAY!  My love handles and flag arms (bingo wings, Oprah arms, flappers & clappers etc.) are thanking me for making these!  This is why I only eat TWO folks, and a less copious amount of frosting when I make them (which is very rare actually)

Seriously though, this is a great way to wake your family up on a snowy Sunday morning!  Some fresh cut fruit, maybe some strawberries, bananas, kiwi....some yogurt, cup of tea (or coffee...blechhh) and an oooeyyy goooeyy scrumptious cinnamon roll.  Just like ANY cereal, it is part of a nutritious breakfast.  And you can eat anything if you moderate what you put in your belly - I don't condone making and eating the entire batch.  I also do not advocate eating a pint of ice cream yourself but sometimes it just feels SO right!

My men, both little and big, were pleasantly surprised when the wafting smells of cinnamon floated up towards the bedrooms.  Little Ugh actually woke up, raced down the stairs and said "Did you go to Cinnabon?"  You can have 2 my favorite son

I can almost guarantee that you have all of the necessary ingredients already in your pantry - no need to plan these out.  Just wake up, and bake up!
No Yeast Cinnamon Rolls

makes 12 Medium or 8 Large

3 c. all purpose flour
2 tbsp. sugar
1 tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
2/3 c. margarine (you can use butter if you want)
1 1/4 c buttermilk
*not too many of us have buttermilk but you can make it with 1 tbsp. of either vinegar or lemon juice and the rest milk making up the 1 1/4 cups.  Let it sit 10 minutes or so.
1 egg

Filling:
2-3 tbsp. margarine
1/2 raisins
1/3 c. packed brown sugar
2 1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Prepare your pan - lightly grease and dust with some flour so they wont stick.  You can use a 9 x 12 pan, a pizza pan, a large iron skillet - whatever you have.  Preheat your oven to 375
 
Now I use Wanda (my KitchenAid mixer). 

Wanda, meet my friends, Friends, Meet Wanda :)
Feel free to use a bowl and an electric mixer - that's what I would have been using until just recently.
 
Place all dry ingredients in a bowl.  Cut in your margarine (or butter - make sure its COLD) - about 45 sec - a minute or so in the mixer
You will want it to have loose crumbs - that is a ok!
Now, since you have your buttermilk hangin out in a measuring cup, add your egg and stir until combined.
Add this to your dry ingredients in a slow stream.  (on the lowest setting - mixing only until it comes together in a ball)
Lightly flour a work surface and turn it out.  The dough is going to be sticky.  Flour your hands and knead the dough for about 2 minutes.  You will need to incorporate flour as you go so keep it on hand.
 
Roll it out into a rectangle approx. 16" x 11" - more is fine too.  Make sure your surface is still well floured!
 
Spread the surface with margarine.  Sprinkle the cinnamon on.  Next add the sugar and raisins.
I guess you could mix all of the ingredients together in one step but I like to see if I need extra cinnamon or sugar.

Roll this up into a log.  Cut into 1 inch pieces, place into your pan and bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

  1. No rising time!! I love it - will have to give these a try! :)

    ReplyDelete