Monday, January 10, 2011

Sauce Week - Day 4 - Red Wine, Balsamic & Cherry Sauce

That sounds divine doesn't it?  Move over Gordon Ramsey!

This sauce came about because I needed, no wanted, a sauce to accompany the pork tenderloin I was about to prepare.  Pork and cherries work together - remember the cherry chutney post? 
So off to my friend "Google" I went to find what sort of sauce I wanted.  I found this recipe on the Food Network and made it my own by changing the herbs used inside the pork (I like rosemary) and adding some shallots to the sauce.
I cannot take credit for the sauce, only the idea of having a sauce and wanting to finally use my wine.
(We still get wine from people who know we don't drink the stuff)
Even my father in law enjoyed it and he is pretty hard to please!


Red Wine Balsamic Cherry Sauce


photo courtesy of the Food Network
I didn't have my camera charged

1/2 c. red wine
1/2 c. fresh cherries, pits removed and chopped
1/2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 shallot finely diced
Salt and pepper to taste


Start by browning your meat first and re-use the pan to make this sauce.
Add the shallot and brown a few moments.  Next add the red wine and use a wooden spoon to scrape up the crisp caramelized bits remaining in the bottom of the pan. Add half of the cherries and the balsamic vinegar and allow the mixture to cook for 5 minutes. Add the remaining cherries and cook for 1 minute more

Season with salt and pepper.
Spoon over the tenderloin and enjoy!


Goat Cheese Stuffed Pork Tenderloin


1 Pork tenderloin
Salt and pepper to taste
1 small tube herbed goat cheese, crumbled (about 3/4 c.)
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 1/2 - 2 tbsp. rosemary finely chopped
1 tsp. cracked pepper
1 tbsp. olive oil


Butterfly the tenderloin. (which means to open the meat like a book)
Place under a piece of plastic wrap and lightly pound out to flatten (you can use a rolling pin, frying pan, meat tenderizer)  Lightly salt and pepper both sides.
Meanwhile, in a bowl combine the rest of the ingredients.
Place the mixture along the middle of the tenderloin and start rolling from the longest point.
If you have butchers twine tie the tenderloin so that it does not unroll.  I find that long bamboo skewers will work just as well.
In an oven proof skillet add 1 tbsp. olive oil.  Brown the roll on all sides.  Place in a preheated oven (395) and cook for about 12 minutes. 
Remove from the oven and place on a plate - cover with tin foil to allow the meat to rest.  Slice on a diagonal and serve with the sauce over top.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment