Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Happy National Deviled Egg Day!

Holy cow, a national holiday just for deviled eggs?
Well why not really, I mean they are always poppin up at parties right?
Why not let them have their own party!!!
Lets Run with the Devil(ed) Egg WOOT!  (Its like my own little holiday)

When I think of a deviled egg I am reminded of little old ladies having Tupperware parties in the 70's.
(what do I know, I was barely born in that decade)
Nowadays everybody wants one and they are always the first to go at a potluck yet when someone asks what you can bring and you even suggest a bite sized egg they sorta balk at it.
Uhhh ummm, sssuuurre?

Not sure why it gets a bum rap (like the egg salad or tuna sandwich at school).
Its an egg peeps with a smooth creamy filling.
Get over it, get on the band wagon.
Say it with me:
"WE LOVE DEVILED EGGS AND WE'RE NOT AFRAID TO SAY IT"

Since today is the national holiday I thought I would give you a trio of flavors. 
My traditional, an Asian inspired and a slightly healthier option.  My ingredient amounts are subjective as I made only enough for 1 or 2 eggs so that I could show you a variety without having a party to get rid of them.
(Mr. BM is gonna be happy when he wakes up and finds out what today is!  He hearts the DE)

Traditional Deviled Egg

hard boiled egg(s), cut lengthwise in half, scoop out the yolk into a bowl and move the whites to a plate.
Hellman's mayo (for 1 egg I used 2 tsp.)
a dash of dill pickle juice
fresh cracked pepper
paprika for garnish

Mix the yolk with ingredients and fill the whites with the mixture, top with garnish
Asian Inspired Deviled Egg

hard boiled egg(s), cut lengthwise in half, scoop out the yolk into a bowl and move the whites to a plate.
a dash of rice wine vinegar
Hellman's mayo (or wasabi mayo if you have some)
a few drops of sirachi (hot sauce)
grated ginger, fresh is better (1/8 tsp.)

Mix the yolk with ingredients and fill the whites with the mixture, top with garnish.

Spinach n Cream Cheese Deviled Egg

hard boiled egg(s), cut lengthwise in half, scoop out the yolk into a bowl and move the whites to a plate.
light cream cheese (for 2 eggs I used about 1 1/2 tbsp)
1 1/2 tsp. mayo
chopped wilted spinach (or you could use frozen and thawed but I like fresh spinach)
cracked pepper
quick squeeze of lemon juice

Mix the yolk with ingredients and fill the whites with the mixture, top with garnish.

My fav?
Easily the traditional!

I'm Listening to: Running With the Devil - Van Halen (of course)
Print Friendly and PDF

4 comments:

  1. Rock on girlfriend!! DE's 4 evah!!! hehehe mmmm now I want some

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love deviled eggs they all sound awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for National Deviled Egg Day! (Who knew?!) Traditional is my favorite, too, but I love your inspired variations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a friend who is REQUIRED to bring her deviled eggs to any and all parties. They are... wait for it... legendary.

    ReplyDelete