Friday, March 18, 2011

Almost a Jerk (Wet Rub)

Oh how I long to be in Jamaica!  The beautiful beaches, the salty waters, the music and the famously spicy jerk foods!!
My fiance and I had a trip booked and paid for a little while ago but sadly we had to postpone, please do the sigh with me....it still hurts to talk about it.

That does not deter me from talking about how much I enjoy spicy foods though.
I can recall many moons ago meeting up with a group of friends every Tuesday night for wings.  We'd go to this little pub around the corner (which is another sad story - it's no longer there) grab a table for 10 and begin our ordering.
Mild for that guy, honey garlic for the weak sauce, over there's gonna have hot...but SUICIDE for me!

Now way back when they didn't post the scoville units on menus but I am going to say that these wings were WAY up there. 
I mean your eyes would start watering even before they hit the table sort of hot.  I would eat them, sweat pouring down my brow enjoying every morsel.  Maybe that's why I had so much heartburn while I was pregnant? Huh...

Now this recipe isn't quite THAT hot, I have 2 "lameos" in the house so I have to make things less fiery, but I would certainly recommend adding a scotch bonnet or two (HA) to really really make this jerk rub pop!


Mild Jerk Wet Rub

2-3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
2 dried red chilies broken for the seeds (or pepper flakes as some would have it)
4 green onions - bulbs and all
2 tsp. fresh chopped ginger
2 cloves garlic chopped
2 tsp. fresh thyme
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. allspice
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. salt and pepper
2 tbsp. oil (I used veg)

In a blender (or food processor if you're lucky enough to have one) place all of the ingredients in except the oil.  Blend to make a puree.  Slowly drizzle in the oil as you continue to blend.
Tadaaa - rub on meat and enjoy!
Print Friendly and PDF

4 comments:

  1. hahahaha! Lovely to see you have your interpretation of jerk here. We posted an authentic recipe that we promise will not be too hot of you don't use the scotch bonnet seeds. We miss Jamaica too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamaican jerk spices and pregnancy - yes - that probably would cause a little heartburn! :) Like you, I can't resist spicy foods! Great wet rub you have here! Love it! My Jamaican coolers would probably help to deaden the spice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your rub is very similar to the jerk sauce that I make and I do add a scotch bonnet or two. My husband was a wimp with heat but I finally have him trained...he gets himself a wet towel to wipe his brow and enjoys the heat. This Cooking Around the Globe was fun, wonder where we're going next month.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great combination of flavors you've got there. Thanks for participating in the event!

    ReplyDelete