Thursday, March 3, 2011

Dinner Yo-Yo. Steak or Not to Steak?

I came home today knowing what I wanted to make:
Steak with a goat cheese sauce, roasted green beans and potatoes.  Only, I come home to find we have no potatoes.
In the words of Jersey Shore's Snookie - WAHHHHHHHHHH.

We need to go produce shopping in a BAD way!
Like when you get to the last few inches of milk, 1 egg in the carton, only crusts of bread left type of shopping - only we need fresh veggies and fruit, oh, and some starchy sides (i.e. potatoes and rice)

What prey tell are we going to have with the steak? 
This totally ruined my dinner plans :(
Famous last words of Mr. BM "we don't need anything, I'm fine with just meat, it's protein, who needs all the other calories?"
BAH, that is not going to happen, not when I'm around.
So with despair in my head and the love of starch in my heart I started brainstorming.


Ya, it took some time...EGG noodles!  Brown butter sauce? Uhhhh maybe? Not tomato based....Geez, I will figure something out, lets get to making the rest of dinner and let the cards fall where they may.
So I began making this sauce for the steak and after tasting it for seasoning I realized "Self, why are you being silly, use THIS sauce for your noodles"
And dinner was born.


Steak with Goat Cheese Sauce
recipe adapted from Epicurious

1 1/4 c. milk
2 1/2 slices whole wheat bread - crusts removed and cubed
1 large egg hard boiled and chopped
1/4 c. herbed goat cheese, crumbled
1 clove garlic chopped
1 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/4 c. olive oil
1 tbsp. lemon juice
fresh cracked pepper (to taste)
salt (to taste)

Simmer milk in a saucepan. Move it to a blender. Add bread and process until blended.
Add the egg, goat cheese, garlic and mustard. Process just until blended.
While its still running, gradually add oil and lemon juice; process until smooth.
Transfer sauce to medium saucepan. Season to taste with pepper and salt.  It will gradually thicken as you simmer on low to medium heat.

Meanwhile, prepare your steak to your liking - mine, dead, no mooing, no pink.  Also prepare your egg noodles according to package.
Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious! Don't you hate when you get home and realize you are missing that ONE ingredient you need (and thought you had)!?

    ReplyDelete