(HA, unlikely in our house - carb fanatic that I am)
What do you do with it?
When I DO have leftovers I make one of two things:
1. Breadcrumbs (rosemary foccacia is GREAT for that)
Why spend the extra money when you have the necessary ingredients at your disposal?
I know, who thinks of that?
I don't know what it is but freshly made croutons make any salad delightful. They are moist yet crispy, a teensy bit hard with a buttery tone. I suppose I am a fan because it encompasses two of my favorite things.
Honestly, when I make them I am forever popping a few in my mouth as they are toasting.
What? You have to taste test folks.
Here's how you do it (not rocket science)
- Cut up your leftover bread into chunks (1x1in or slighly bigger)
- In a frying pan (I like my cast iron for this) add a few tbsp. of salted butter and melt - on med/high heat
- Throw in the cubes
- Toss to coat with the butter
- Keep an eye out so they dont burn but toss every once in a while
- Done! Oh, make sure to taste them as you go because how else are you to know when they are crispy enough?
What do you do with your leftover bread?