Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Crock Pot Cookin' - Korean Inspired Beef Short Ribs

First I'd like to say how wonderful summer is. Hot, humid, sunny!  I beg for these months!

My hair, now short seems to have soooo much volume in the humidity!  Awesome!
Oh wait, that's called FRIZZ.

My upper lip has beads of sweat each time I set foot outdoors - attractive thought I know.

Cooking and baking seemed to be a thing of the past since our central air had been wonky and not allowing the glorious cool air to flow freely the last little while. 
I really really really don't know how people live without it on a daily basis in the humidity - I bow to you!

So what do you do when the very thought of turning on your oven increases the internal home temperature 5 degrees?
BBQ of course.
But why not use your slow cooker?

It's not just for soups, stews and chili you know.

We had picked up some beef short ribs at St. Lawrence Market and were dying to eat them.

As I braved the heat wave to grab my mail in the morning I decided that standing outdoors "low and slowing it" was not something I was willing to do.
I quickly rounded up the crock pot and got ready to set it and forget it.

In 8 hours, not only was dinner ready but my house smelled amazing and it didn't add extra discomfort of the lack of cool air.
Perfect!

Fall off the bone goodness.
Enjoy!

I'm listening to: The Lazy Song - Bruno Mars


Korean Inspired Beef Short Ribs
makes 4 servings

beef short ribs (about 12 - more if your generous)
2 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 c. soy sauce
1/3 c. brown sugar
2 tbsp. sesame oil
2 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
sliced green onions and sesame seeds for garnish if you will





Rub the ribs with 1/2 of the sugar and place in the crock.


In a bowl combine the rest of the ingredients.


Pour over top of the ribs, turning to ensure they are coated.


Set the temperature to low for approx. 8 hours (you can eat in 6 or so but 8 is best)
Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions if you'd like (I put them on mine but the boys didn't have any on theirs)
Print Friendly and PDF

4 comments:

  1. I love your short ribs!! Just to bad I can't get them here. I had my first short ribs in a Korean restaurant and I got hooked. Will have to wait till January when I am back to satisfy all my cravings =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice meaty ribs here, and slow cooking is magic on these. Tasty sauce-Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lilly, remind me where you are? I had never had them before but def will be again!
    @Tina, the sauce was fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love bulgogi! This sounds like a fantastic recipe - and all done in the slow cooker - genius!

    ReplyDelete