Friday, July 15, 2011

Homemade French Style Dressing

I got a little tired of bottled dressings a while ago when I discovered how easy Caesar dressing really can be.
Sure, you can run into any store, pick up a bottle and toss it with some lettuce or spinach and call it salad.
BORING

Hey, I'm not knocking store bought dressings, I do have some favorites and I don't see the need to buy a bunch of ingredients to make them when I can just grab and go, but when you can come up with your own fresh tastes it can make not only your mouth happy but your heart.

I found a new quest:
French dressing.

I'm not a huge fan of it but for some reason I wanted to give it a go.
I found a recipe from Canadian Living's website which I frequent.
(by the way I was featured back in their May 2011 magazine issue! Oh, don't get all excited that I was published, it wasn't for food HA, I had a makeover done and they did a fantastic job! Thanks Julia and Katherine!)

I followed their recipe to a tee.

Nope, didn't like it - sorry CL.
I am sure it was "tested until perfect" but it wasn't perfect for my taste buds.  It was really tart.  The use of lemon juice AND sour cream just felt like it was missing something.  It needed to be more mellow.

So I improvised and added some things here and there.
I enjoyed mine more once I was done, no offence.

Dinner time rolls around and I am all excited about this new dressing, thinking I'm going to be  sophisticated like, make an iceberg lettuce wedge, drizzle the sauce over top and call it a salad.

That is, until Mr. BM comes home and starts to laugh as he grabs his iPhone.

That's right, he wanted to take a picture, post it to twitter and send to his friends saying "lazy man's salad, see what she made me today?"

Thanks
Go on, ignore the best part, the French dressing I slaved over (not really).
Make fun, laugh it up chuckles.
But if you and your fancy pant clients went to a restaurant and received that on your plate I bet no one would bat an eyelash.
Who am I kidding, they would.
Whatever.

The star was the dressing not the wedge.

I'm listening to: It's Five O'clock Somewhere - Jimmy Buffet/Alan Jackson (for the in laws)


French Style Salad Dressing
makes 1 1/2 c. approx.
 
2/3 c. veg oil
1/3 c. sour cream (low fat)
1/3 c. lite mayo
1/4 c. lemon juice
2 tbsp. sugar
5 tsp. tomato paste
1 1/2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. fresh cracked pepper
1 tsp. cayenne
1 1/2 tsp. dry mustard

Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth and incorporated, approximately 2 minutes.

Serve it over your favorite salad fixins, or lettuce wedge

 recipe adapted from Canadian Living
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment