Thursday, July 7, 2011

Taking Stock n Making Stock

Once, a very long time ago I made a judgement call;
I am never going to like soup.

In fact, when I even think about eating drinking it, it disgusts me.  I'm sorry soup lovers.  That might have sounded harsh
It baffles me too, don't try to wrap your head around it, I've tried, it is what it is.

I think it's the broth with other things floating around in it that makes it so unappealing.
My meals should be hearty, not to be able to be consumed through a straw.
I do like stew though and I cook with soups (creamy ones mostly), go figure.
Analization gets me no where. (don't look up that word, it's not in there)

Here's where it gets interesting though.
I am compelled to make stock, broth if you will.

I'm not going to use it as a base for another soup like noodles and such, nope, won't do it.
I want it for my sauces, for boiling my rice or risotto, for veggie flavoring.
I know, weird right?

So I make this turkey the other night (for the first time ever btw) and wouldn't you believe but I decided I should really do something culinary like make stock.

Here I go, throwing in the carcass, some onions, garlic, carrots, celery, leftover asparagus ends (the woody parts) bay leaves, green and black peppercorns, fresh thyme and a touch of salt with enough water to cover the dead bird remains.


The smell in my house was miraculous!  WHY can I not enjoy soup when it smells so divine?!
HELP ME!

Oh and help me find room in my freezer for the 6 containers plus 4 ice cube trays.
Stock anyone?

I'm Listening to: People Are Strange - the Doors
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment