Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Summery Tomato Cucumber Salad w Basil Balsamic Dressing

Disclaimer: I don't eat fresh, raw tomatoes so this was not consumed by me personally.  All opinions expressed are based on actual individuals, Mr. BM.  His true and accurate account is a valid interpretation of the dish, or at least his accounts are what he told me, to my face ;) and to be believed.

My wonderful neighbour swung by while I was trying desperately to revived my brown sun bleached grass this weekend with some home grown luscious red beauties.  I explained I wouldn't use them as Little Ugh and myself do not eat them (unless in ketchup, or cooked).
She didn't care.
I ended up with 6.

I heart my neighbours, they are wonderfully neighbourly.
They watch my house when I am away, they take in my mail, they feed my cat, and they force veggies down my throat even if I protest (lovingly of course).

Alright, I won't let them go to waste.
I could have made a pasta sauce,  I suppose I still could.
Maybe the balance I will try my hand at homemade ketchup!  That might be fun.
But today I decided that the cucumber in my fridge needed a partner in crime.

Fresh basil from the garden plus balsamic vinegar and olive oil seemed to be the smart way to dress it.
I hear it went well.
Or so "he" says (to my face)
I did make a bit too much for 1 serving so the concoction would be more for 3 or 4 servings which I will remember for the future. So as I post the recipe I am adding in extra tomato and cucumber to compensate for you.

I'm Listening To: Tiny Dancer - Elton John (because I am trying to get tickets for September!!)


Tomato Cucumber Salad
1 English cucumber
2 tomatoes
pinch of salt
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
3 tsp. fresh basil, torn (approx.)
fresh cracked pepper to taste







Peel and thinly slice the cucumber, add a pinch of salt and let stand at least 10 minutes to draw out some of the moisture.
Thinly slice the tomatoes, add a bit of fresh cracked pepper.

Place tomatoes and cucumbers in a bowl.
In a separate bowl add together oil, vinegar and torn basil.


Drizzle over the salad, toss and serve
Print Friendly and PDF

3 comments:

  1. Nice and healthy salad, this will be a great dish to try at home as we must have one veg per day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to get rid of the last bit of extra veggies in your garden. I still have a few veggies in my kitchen. I love fresh basil. Mine still looks good and is quite happy in my garden. I will make this soon Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If only I lived next to your neighbors...I love tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete