Monday, July 25, 2011

MashUp Monday Returns! Loaded Baked Potato Salad

We were headed to a backyard bbq to commemorate two wonderful people getting married.
They are a great pair that Anna and Matt.  Two crazy love birds!

I got wrangled into bringing something about a week out.
I didn't mind (anything for you Jenny!)

She asked me to make my Omi's potato salad.  Its simple, easy, has pickles, feeds a crowd - of course!

Potato salad to me symbolizes bbq, picnics, and summer.
Strangely enough, we don't generally eat it in the winter.  I guess that's like saying I don't eat a full turkey dinner in the summer. (except this year when the freezer conked out and we had to)
Its not like potatoes are seasonal vegetables?!
Might have to change my mindset on this one.

I decided that I wanted to incorporate a new version I just read in Rachel Ray's latest magazine.
As soon as I saw it I knew it was my newest MashUp.
It's perfect for outdoor dinners - no mayo to go bad in the crazy heat we've been having lately and all the great things you would throw onto a baked potato! Can you say BACON!

That Rachel Ray, she's genius.  I want her to be my friend.

This is a must try at least once!

I'm Listening To: You Know Diamonds are Forever - Amy Winehouse/Kanye



Loaded Baked Potato Salad
6 baking potatoes
olive oil
salt and pepper
500ml light sour cream
1/4 c. softened butter
1 c. shredded cheddar/mozzarella cheese
green onions
8 slices bacon






Pre heat oven to 400F
Wash your potatoes well and pierce them all over with a fork.
Rub with a touch of olive oil and lightly season with salt and pepper.


Bake on a sheet until tender - about an hour
Let cool completely and cut into bite sized chunks.


Meanwhile, cut the bacon into small strips and fry until crispy.  Drain them on a towel and set aside. And shred your cheeses.



Mix together the sour cream and butter with some salt and pepper until smooth. 


Add in the cheese, onions and bacon and toss in the potatoes.


Serve with additional green onions for garnish.

Really does taste like a baked potato!

Are there any foods you only eat in particular seasons that you could eat any time?
Comment and let me know
Print Friendly and PDF

3 comments:

  1. OMG it's like we're sharing the same brain. I was totally thinking of making something just like this! Yours looks mind-blowing. We're sistas from anotha mutha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks sista! Totally can taste the baked flavor, such a different take on my "norm" potato salad but who can pass up bacon?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am making this right now. Potatoes just went into the oven!!

    ReplyDelete